History

1879 – Saint Teresa’s Pro-Cathedral is built at 13th & M.

September 7, 1890 – St. Teresa School dedicated. The school opened on September 15, 1890 with 209 students.

March 29, 1904 – First Christian Church at 14th & K St. purchased by the Diocese to be renovated as the Cathedral

August 8, 1906 – Renovations begin on church

August 28, 1906 – Church burns down in a fire; rebuilding starts immediately

December 8, 1911 – Saint Mary’s Cathedral is dedicated

1917 – Name of St. Teresa’s School changed to Cathedral School. The class of 1917 received the first dipolomas from “Cathedral High School.”

July 15, 1919 – Sacred Heart Parish is established, taking all parishioners east of 20th and north of “O” Streets.

January 22, 1921 – Blessed Sacrament parish is broken off from St. Mary’s, taking all the households south of “A”

February 23, 1926 – St. Mary’s Parish is divided again with the establishment of St. Teresa Parish to the east.

March 13, 1949 – The new school building opens to the east of the Cathedral. Saint Mary’s is the only parish in Lincoln to offer all the grades through high school.

March 19, 1949 – The old school building at 13th and M Streets burns down

May 27, 1956 – Cathedral High School graduates its last class. Pius X High School opens on A St. the following fall.

November 1956 – Current rectory is built

1963 – The red brick exterior is painted over in an off-white

June 30, 1963 – The interior of the Cathedral was re-dedicated. The baldachino took the place of the old high altars.

August 18, 1965 – The Cathedral of the Risen Christ is dedicated; St. Mary’s is henceforth referred to as “the Old Cathedral”

June 15, 1993 – Saint Mary’s Parish, with 1200 families, is split in half when North American Martyrs Parish is established in the Highlands.

1993 – The baldachino comes down; the current crucifix and tabernacle go up.

Pastors

2005 – Present Fr. Douglas Dietrich

1985 – 2005    Monsignor Paul Witt

1983 – 1985    Fr. Peter Gadient

1980 – 1983    Monsignor James Dawson

1955 – 1980    Monsignor John Flynn

1937 – 1955    Monsignor Clarence J. Riorden

Past Mass Schedules

2006 – Present Saturday 4 pm; Sunday 8 am, 10 am, 12:30 pm, 5 pm

1997 – 2005    Saturday 4 pm; Sunday 8 am, 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 12:30 pm

1982 – 1997    Saturday 4 pm & 6 pm; Sunday 8 am, 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 12:30 pm, 5:30 pm

1976 – 1982    Saturday 6 pm; Sunday 8 am, 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 12:30 pm, 5:30 pm

1969 – 1976    Saturday 6 pm; Sunday 7:30 am, 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 12:30 pm, 5:30 pm

1966 – 1969    Sunday 6 am, 7:30 am, 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 12:30 pm, 5:30 pm

1943 – 1966    Sunday 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 12:30 pm

1933 – 1943    Sunday 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, 9:30 am, 10:30 am, 12 Noon